tirsdag den 4. august 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read


This is this weeks topic from Broke and the Bookish. The title just sums itself up quite clear, doesn't it?
I love fairytales, but I must admit that lately it have been more of the Disney-versions of them, than anything else. I do have quite a knowledge about the norwegian folk-tales, but after reading and spending my head around, thinking about this one - I think it is clear, at least for me, that I should read more of those. Specially the classic Grimm ones, and maybe some more H.C. Andersen aswell, living in Denmark and all.
These books are my bid for top ten - and I chose to bundle Marissa Meyers books all together. If I hadn't, her books would have filled half my list, as they are some of my favorite, retelling, books.

1. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. She re-tells alot of the old, classic, fairytales in a world set in a dystopian future, with cyborgs and stuff. I havn't read all of the series yet, but I am well on my way!

2. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (and the rest of the series) have been on my TBR-list for a while. It is based on greek mythology, as far as I can see.

3. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. Been wanting to read this book since I saw the movie!

4. Loved the Cinderella-retelling shown in Sarah J. Maas' novel Throne of Glass

5. I WANT to read this Peter Pan retell: Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

6. Den Lilla Møghætte og Pulven (and the rest of the books in the same series by Rune T. Kidde. The language is awesome, and it have made my little girl asking to read alot more books lately.

7. I have to mention another childrens book, namely Frozen. Yes, it is a movie. Yes, this is a book based on the movie. But I still love the retelling of the original, quite dark, fairytale.

8. Confessions of an ugly stepsister by Gregory Maguire

9. A court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas looks awesome!

10. Dorothy must die by Danielle Page

7 kommentarer:

  1. I can only think of a couple of retellings that I have read, Ice by Sarah Beth Durst and also I have read Cinder. I'd love to read more retellings :)

    Oooh I want to make a Norwegian recommendation if you haven't read it yet; Kaoshjerte by Lise Grimnes. A nice take on the myth of Huldra. Great fun to discover yet another Norwegian book blogger :)

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. O - that one looks nice! Gotta see if I can get someone to pick it up for me next time I get to Norway.. Norwegian books are expensive, and quite hard to fit in a little student-budget!

      Slet
    2. I agree, but then again Norwegian wages are high as well so it might reflect that. Since you are a book blogger you can probably ask the publisher nicely for a review copy :)

      Slet
  2. What a great list! You list several that I want to read. Especially Ella Enchanted and The Lunar Chronicles (I haven't yet started those). I've been curious about Sarah J. Maas.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I've read her book Throne of Glass - but not this new one!

      Slet
  3. Dorthy Must Die is on my TBR list. The cover looks awesome and The Wizard of Oz never gets boring. Although I have to admit, Dorothy is really the most annoying character in the story.

    SvarSlet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...